31. ripoff 騙人的東西
What a ripoff! The new car I bought doesn't work!
真是個騙人貨!我買的新車啟動不了!
32. rock the boat 找麻煩
Don't rock the boat! Things are fine just the way they are.
別找麻煩了,事情這樣就夠好了。
33. blow it 搞砸了,弄壞了
I blew it on that last exam.
我上次考試考砸了。
34. in hot water 有麻煩
He is in hot water with his girlfriend recently.
近段時間他跟女友的關(guān)系有點僵。
35. put one's foot in one's mouth 禍從口出
Wally is always saying such stupid thing. He has a real talent for putting his foot in his mouth.
沃力盡說這種蠢話。他真有惹是生非的本事。
36. flop (表演、電影等)不賣座,失敗
The movie was a flop. Nobody went to see it.
這部電影賣座率奇低,沒有人去看。
37. drop in/by/over 隨時造訪
Feel free to drop in anytime. I'm usually home and I'd love the company.
歡迎隨時來坐坐。我通常在家,也喜歡有人做伴。
38. drop a line 寫信
Drop me a line!
給我寫信!
39. a bad hair day 不順利的一天
A: What's the matter Sam? You look upset.
山姆,你沒事吧?你看起來氣色很不好。
B: Oh, it's nothing. I'm just having a bad hair day -- everything's going wrong.
哦,沒什么。我只是今天不順利,所有事情都出錯了。
除此之外,如果為了表達詼諧的語氣,a bad hair day 的主語還可以是物。
My computer is having a bad hair day.
我的電腦今天罷工了。
40. pull someone's leg 開某人的玩笑
A: I met David Beckham in a pub last night and he bought me a drink.
我昨晚在酒吧遇見貝克漢姆了,他還請我喝了杯酒。
B: Are you pulling my leg?
你在開玩笑嗎?
I was just pulling Karl's leg when I said Marissa wanted to go out with him, but he believed me and he called her. And now they really are going out!
我只是跟卡爾開玩笑說,瑪瑞莎想和他去約會,但他居然相信了我,還打電話給馬瑞薩?,F(xiàn)在,他們居然真的出去約會啦。
|